Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Broken Starsense explorer tripod

Since I got my Dx5 Starsense scope at the beginning of July I’ve been really impressed with it until tonight. After a brief session of trying to see the comet just after sunset (nope couldn’t see it) I decided to collapse the tripod until it got much darker. Unfortunately as I was tightening the bolts that secure the legs one of the bolts together with a chunk of plastic snapped off meaning I can no longer secure one of the legs. I’m always careful not to over tighten things, especially if there’s plastic involved, so only tighten things hand tight, I can only think that there must have been a weakness in the plastic. I’ve emailed RVO about the problem and hope they can try and help.

In the meantime while I’m waiting does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to secure the loose leg so I can carry on observing? I’ve thought about maybe a jubilee clip or something as it’s the two outer legs squeezed together by the bolt the secures the leg.

IMG_1234.jpeg

Sorry to say those platic leg brackets are well known for fracture.
You say you got the scope in July. Was it new? If so try a warranty claim.
It does look as if the screw has been tightened hard down.

Alternatively look around for a used tripod and swap over the legs.

But the quick fix is a Jubilee clip until you get a longer term solution.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bloodline said:

Since I got my Dx5 Starsense scope at the beginning of July I’ve been really impressed with it until tonight. After a brief session of trying to see the comet just after sunset (nope couldn’t see it) I decided to collapse the tripod until it got much darker. Unfortunately as I was tightening the bolts that secure the legs one of the bolts together with a chunk of plastic snapped off meaning I can no longer secure one of the legs. I’m always careful not to over tighten things, especially if there’s plastic involved, so only tighten things hand tight, I can only think that there must have been a weakness in the plastic. I’ve emailed RVO about the problem and hope they can try and help.

In the meantime while I’m waiting does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to secure the loose leg so I can carry on observing? I’ve thought about maybe a jubilee clip or something as it’s the two outer legs squeezed together by the bolt the secures the leg.

IMG_1234.jpeg

Looks like part of the screw is still in the hole and has been torque-sheared, which can only occur as a result of over-tightening or thread seizure. The latter normally only happens when unscrewing.

2 hours ago, Mandy D said:

Looks like part of the screw is still in the hole and has been torque-sheared, which can only occur as a result of over-tightening or thread seizure. The latter normally only happens when unscrewing.

That’s what I thought, but on closer examination all the bolt does is tighten the outside two legs to secure the middle one. I was surprised at the mark too, as I said early I consciously don’t over tighten because of the plastic parts but I’ve found it needs to be a bit tight otherwise the leg doesn’t secure. 
I’m still quite shocked that it broke as it did, I can quite understand that people may think I over tightened as I would probably think the same if I saw the photo, but you would think to break it off completely would take a lot more force than just over tightening. Like I said earlier the only reason I can think off is there must have been a weakness in that part of the plastic.

I think your being consciously aware has failed you on this occasion as it’s definitely been over tightened. RVO may request it to be returned but don’t be surprised if they put it down to you. I would look at sourcing a used tripod.

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

I think your being consciously aware has failed you on this occasion as it’s definitely been over tightened. RVO may request it to be returned but don’t be surprised if they put it down to you. I would look at sourcing a used tripod.

The very reason I’d mentioned it being over tightened was because that’s exactly the response I would have given if I’d seen the photo myself, so I do understand your response.
After having a search on the internet I’ve found I’m not the only one who’s had this problem either and Celestron replaced theirs under warranty so hopefully they’ll do the same for me.
The problem is if you don’t tighten enough the legs collapse (which happened to me, luckily I was sat right next to it) so your then scared of it toppling over and breaking the scope so you tighten the bolts a little bit more which I think is understandable. Is that then classed as over tightening? 

6 minutes ago, Bloodline said:

The very reason I’d mentioned it being over tightened was because that’s exactly the response I would have given if I’d seen the photo myself, so I do understand your response.
After having a search on the internet I’ve found I’m not the only one who’s had this problem either and Celestron replaced theirs under warranty so hopefully they’ll do the same for me.
The problem is if you don’t tighten enough the legs collapse (which happened to me, luckily I was sat right next to it) so your then scared of it toppling over and breaking the scope so you tighten the bolts a little bit more which I think is understandable. Is that then classed as over tightening? 

I really hope that you get is sorted out under warranty, be it RVO or Celestron themselves. If Celestron are aware of it and it has been experienced by others then that’s in your favour. Good luck and keep us posted please.

I had a plastic boss shear off on a Celestron SE tripod leg.  My solution was to stick it all back together with Araldite and reinforce the boss with metal by Aralditing a snug metal sleeve over the outside of the boss.  It made a neat job and is holding OK so far.

RVO were true to their word and my new tripod leg was delivered today so my tripod is now all fixed and ready to go. Just a shame the weather is now looking bad for the next few days.

Its my fault, my new Svbony zoom lens was delivered on Saturday and of course as soon as you get a new piece of kit the clouds roll in lol