NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What has been your experience using the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi Mount?

Dionysus

I got an email from High Point Scientific telling me the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi Mount Kit is now on sale for $740. The price looks attractive, and being a short-term user of their star tracker, I am tempted to go for it. Can you share your opinion of how this mount has performed? Thanks in advance.

I've used it for just shy of 6 months now, bought second hand though. With the Sharpstar 61EDPH II and all the zwo gear, it's knocking on the door of 5kg. I've only ever run it through the ASIAIR so can't comment on use through WiFi/app.

First few runs showed the guiding to be a bit poor at 1.2-1.6" if I remember correctly, though at my image scale of nearly 3" it didn't affect things too much. I tuned out the backlash in the gearboxes and worm/crown gears on both axis, a general tidy up of grease which made a good improvement, guiding regularly below 1" now. On the best nights it's been as low as 0.6".

It's easily portable having taken it to the canaries by plane - takes minimal room in your hand luggage though you do notice the extra weight. Draws absolutely peanuts for power running for a solid 6hrs. A little noisy but just an observation rather than complaint. 

Overall very decent for the money especially when you tune it up a little. 

• Like 1