NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Calling owners of obsolete ASA mounts (DDM60/85)

AnakChan

Hi folks,

I'd like to call ASA DDM60 (Std/Pro) & DDM85 owners with regards to support on the AutoSlew/Sequence software. If my understanding is correct, ASA no longer provide upgrades and development support for these obsolete mounts. There are newer versions of AutoSlew (and presumably Sequence) but only for the current DDM100+ mounts.

With my DDM60 at least I'm on AutoSlew 5.2.4.8 & Sequence 2.1.1, ASCOM compliance has been somewhat spotty especially with integration with N.I.N.A. where TrackingRate is failing, and having to connect to the mount via ASCOM Hub rather than directly. Using an all ASA solution (i.e. AutoSlew & Sequence) is also an issue for me at least as Sequence's AutoFocus bombs out with my focuser's ASCOM driver - not certain why but I suspect it's 32-bit vs 64-bit issue.

I suspect there are other DDM60/DDM85 owners who are in a similar boat as me. I'm therefore interested in trying to band a group of ASA legacy mount owners who have similar issues, and brainstorm together on a strategic and open-system solution. As an example, I'd like to propose a Raspberry Pi-styled solution that can serve Alpaca & INDI, and (at least a) N.I.N.A. plug-in that can perform both an all-sky Autopoint, and localised MLPT modelling.

Anyone else in the same boat as me and interested in brainstorming a solution?

Giving this another gentle bump.

Pursuing a different angle are there any recommendations of developers who can recode/rewrite the entire AutoSlew and a N.I.N.A plugin for this and depending on the cost, setting aside a budget for it. The question I have is, "where do I start?". How does one source a developer to write such software? I'm also open to other kinds of solutions e.g. say a RaspberryPi that can drive the mount and support Alpaca & INDI, or if someone else suggests an On-Step or SiTech-type solution (drivers till need to be written). I'd gather the challenge would be due to the developer needing access to the mount directly, or would setting up remote access work?

I’m not an ASA owner, but one thing that I thought of when reading your post is this. Your mount must have some firmware that any driver and the ASA software must communicate with. As such, there must be a protocol for that communication. Either this protocol is still used in the new mounts, or ASA may be willing to share it with their user base. Without such protocol, it will be almost impossible to write software for the mount. You could contact ASA to find out if they are willing to share information on their obsolete mounts. As an alternative, you could try to get in contact with the developer of the ASCOM or INDI driver. If that is not ASA, they may be able to help you. If INDI is an option, post your request on the Indilib forum.

Thx for your response. Yes I have reached out to ASA pending their response but their focus these days are more towards professional level rather than the amateur astronomer.

The ASA mounts are actually quite simplistic devices - unlike other mounts that have handheld controllers (effectively mini computers with GOTO, star maps, etc.) the ASA mounts only have a USB interface for USB to Serial comms. Beyond that, it's actually the AutoSlew Windows software (I think it's written in Visual Basic, but not certain) to drive the mount. So the ASA mounts actually need a computer to operate unlike most other normal mounts.

The ASA AutoSlew software tunes the motors at start up, identifies home position, sets time, Lat/Long of the location, etc. So even pointing and slewing is done via the AutoSlew software. The closest I can think of would be the mounts that use OnStep or SiTech (e.g. GTD, JTW, Mesu, and maybe Avalon with its Raspberry Pi StarGo? etc.).

I don't think it's going to be as simple as hiring a university Computer Science student who have no knowledge of astronomy to code it up, and am seeking someone with mount driver development experience.

• Like 1