NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount suggestion for sv503 w/4 eyepieces

printmongrel

I've bought a svbony sv503 80mm f7 OTA. It will be used mostly for daytime viewing of wildlife (eagles, orcas, ships & boats) but we'd like to look at galaxies & planets too. I'm looking at buying a baader turret & four agena starguider dual ed eyepieces - just 1.25". What is the least expensive mount that will keep things stable - both following wildlife and changing eyepieces while starwatching?

Purely manual is best. The Vixen Mobile Porta Alt-Az Mount looks a bit small for my setup but at $300 it is where I'd like to be. The Celestron Omni CG-4 Telescope Mount seems to be spec'd for 20# ($400) but can an eq mount work comfortably for daytime viewing? Sky-Watcher AZ5 Mount ($420) & Vixen Porta II Alt-Az Mount ($475) are more money but stability is a priority.

OK, I decided to order the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi mount today even though I initially didn't want to pay for the added technology/headache. For either of the manual mounts with 15# payloads I was looking at $350 to $450 while for $430 I can get unlocking clutches and a goto functionality. I figure with my light polluted skys, the telescope pointing me in the right direction will help find fainter objects. In the daytime I just loosen the clutches and it's a reasonable wildlife alt-az mount. With the ota at 6.5#, eyepiece and diagonal at about 1#, I should be at about 70% capacity. People seem to be quite happy with a 80mm or even 102mm reflector on this mount. An added bonus is that the scope and mount are very portable - 7.5# + 8.6#. I have given up on the turret for now as the Morpheus eyepieces I have pretty much decided on are too much for the plastic Baader housing. I'm just getting the 17.5mm eyepiece for now and seeing how I like the Morpheus characteristics. Thanks for all the ideas, everything helped.

• Like 1