NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CEM40/GEM45/StellarDrive AZEQ5 - travel mount for C9.25?

GTom

I am assembling a travel astro kit, more or less decided on the OTA, a C9.25, but need a mount. Imaging, including deep sky guided <5min with 0.63x reducer (already got the Starizona one) is also a requirement.

Costs of the three options are similar, only complication is that the Stellardrive mod needs the mount to be shipped to the company. All rated to approx. double the weight of the OTA (40lbs vs 20lbs), imaging gear would be kept <4lbs (2kg).

Anyone using either mounts with a c9.25 or a sizeable scope that represents similar challenge to the mount?

A con for the GEM45 as travel mount that it's latitude adjustment range excludes -14 to +14°, which is borderline for some of my trips. Otherwise that one seems to be the strongest candidate.

Have you considered a harmonic drive version? The jury may still be out about their capabilities of imaging at long focal lengths. Not having to cart around counterweights is a massive boon.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. My hem15 was supposed to replace my gem28 but the latter works so well I might just keep it. Initially I wanted a cem (as its weight distribution is supposed to be better balanced) but the opportunity came up for the gem so I snapped it up. Just using the in built tracking imaging comet E3 ztf earlier this year I don't think the field moved over an hour of imaging at 300mm.

I also like how they're whisper quiet.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Remember though, I don't think HD tech is particularly new, only at the lower to mid end. Rainbow have had theirs out for a while before ZWO and ioptron did, mid to upper you also have Pegasus and Hobym.

• Like 1