NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CGX Guiding problem

Graeme

My CGX has been in the garage for 10 months. I've just put it on my nice new pier only to discover that whilst it slews ok, it is unable to carry out movements to the North on the Dec axis when calibrating in PHD2. I have checked all of the recommendations from the PHD2 Google Groups which leaves me with a suspected problematic mount.

I tried releasing the clutches on the Dec axis and slowly rotating it to see if I could feel anything untoward but it feels ok.

Could anyone suggest please the next set of steps to take to try and find the fault?

Or does anyone know of a company in southern England that offers a mount maintenance service?

It's a bit frustrating to build a ROR and then to find your mount doesn't work!

Thanks

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme

I could ask lots of questions like:

How many steps did it take to Cal RA ?

What did you set the guide speed to, both RA and Dec the same ?

What driver?

But best to upload a link to the PHD2  GuideLog, make sure the date and time in the file name are relevant.

Michael

On 03/07/2023 at 08:23, michael8554 said:

Hi Graeme

I could ask lots of questions like:

How many steps did it take to Cal RA ?

What did you set the guide speed to, both RA and Dec the same ?

What driver?

But best to upload a link to the PHD2  GuideLog, make sure the date and time in the file name are relevant.

Michael

Thanks Michael

Ask away!

So the calibration did about 12-15 steps (from memory!) East and West Can't remember South, then it was failing after 50-60 steps North.

The mount guide speed was 0.85,  RA and Dec, auto detected from the settings in CPWI. 

ASCOM driver.

The PHD logs were uploaded on the same night. The first time the advice was to upgrade to download PHD2 2.6.11dev6 and run the Calibration Assistant. The second attempt had the same symptoms and the logs were uploaded. The ever helpful and knowledgeable Bruce advised that there is a serious problem with the mount. This is the graph he produced from the logs:

Bad_Cal.jpg.322d68a517e4f3cf3208ba2e1bb62aa0.jpg

As advised, I have checked for mechanical binding, cable snags and OTA imbalance. 

This leaves Dec drive motor or related firmware problems.

I did a Star Test and the image clearly shows star Ts instead of star crosses. 

So the next question is, what is the next step to take to try and find the fault? Or does anyone know of a company in southern England that offers a mount maintenance service? 

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Ah, so you have already uploaded logs to the PHD2 Help forum.

What date was that, so I can have a look ?

"I did a Star Test and the image clearly shows star Ts instead of star crosses. "

That means there was Dec movement in the correct direction, instead of in the RA direction like in the Cal image you posted.

Just no Dec movement when it reversed, due to huge Dec Backlash  ?

Can you post a link to the latest GuideLog with which has a Cal ?

Michael

Edited by michael8554