NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EAA - Super Supernova

Big Ian 65

This evening I managed to capture an image of the recently discovered Supernova in M101 - It is designated SN 2023ixf. You can see it, as a bright spot, in the upper spiral arm in the attached image, just below and to the left of NGC 5461.
The image is a stack of 97 frames totalling 873 secs of exposure. Taken with a SV705C camera through my CPC925 and 0.63x reducer. No processing, just stretched in Sharpcap.
It is awe inspiring to see the power of such an event!

M101%20-%20Stack_97frames_873s_WithDisplayStretch.jpeg

M101%20-%208504894.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Finally - a clear night in the forecast. I'm hoping to live stream this supernova! (and dozens of other deep-space objects) tomorrow (Friday) night from 11:15pm until 1:15am ET. Join us 'live' at the eyepiece. Just tune in at https://www.youtube.com/@EmeraldHillsSkies . This time, we'll be observing literally from out beside the telescope. Temperatures are warm - and we need to fine-tune some adjustments anyway. We'll flood the base of the observatory with just enough light for the live-stream and we hope it'll feel like you are right there beside us. Join us in the observatory Friday night! 

observatory-new_lights-2022-03-28-500.jpg

• Like 3