SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51 with CCD

Budgie1

I've done a few images using the narrowband filters with my Atik 428EX camera, but I've still only had a go at a couple of broadband targets. The last couple of weeks presented two clear nights so I went for M51 in LRGB with a set of Baader filters I got from a fellow SGL member recently. 

Initially I had issues with the focuser on Evostar 100ED DS Pro, it turned out the weight of the camera, filter wheel & FF/FR when the scope was in the vertical was causing the focuser to move and it just needed a wee tightening. The ZWO EAF worked fine after that. ;)

So, over the 7th & 15th April I got a total of 4h12m, broken down to:

• L - 1h58m
  • R - 38m
  • G - 56m
  • B - 40m

The red & blue channels suffered more from the loose focuser on the first night and I had to ditch all of the blue and most of the red subs from that night, that's why there's more green. The next clear night then I'll top up on the red & blue, especially the red because it really seems to be lacking from red or Ha.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the detail it's captured for such a short integration and it's done a good job with the outer dust. The combination of the 428EX sensor size and the 100ED's focal length with the 0.85 FF/FR gives a better FOV for some of the larger galaxies than I have with ASI294MC Pro. It also shows again that CCD may not be in favour with CMOS around but they are still very capable cameras. :D 

C&C's welcomed, as always.

M51_WhirlpoolGalaxy_4h12m_LRGB_14042023-1.thumb.png.93221fe8e8969dd07972fb7d8c50e614.png

Edited by Budgie1
  • Like 10