Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How portable is the SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 Mount?

I am wondering about the portability of this mount, relative to the EQ5 and the HEQ5 and the EQ6? Is it the best compromise between tracking accuracy and portability? I will be doing solar imaging.

Thanks,

-Charles

Edited by CharlesS

What scope are you using for solar imaging? What technique are you using?  Unless you are also intending to use the same mount for deep-sky imaging, I can't see why you would want such a heavy and expensive mount as those cited.  Wouldn't you be using a small scope and a 'lucky imaging' video, with very short exposures, which would make wobble and tracking error in the mount unimportant?

Actually you need to ask solar imagers what they use.

On 13/04/2023 at 12:26, Cosmic Geoff said:

What scope are you using for solar imaging? What technique are you using?  Unless you are also intending to use the same mount for deep-sky imaging, I can't see why you would want such a heavy and expensive mount as those cited.  Wouldn't you be using a small scope and a 'lucky imaging' video, with very short exposures, which would make wobble and tracking error in the mount unimportant?

Actually you need to ask solar imagers what they use.

Thanks for the reply. Because the videos I intend to render are 1-2 hour long an azimuth mount that comes with the 6-inch SCT I intend to use, is not appropriate. My experience has been that a solid GE mount with good tracking is best.

-Charles