NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote Managed Observatory

AstroGS

I am not even sure if this the right place to ask this question so, if the mods need to move it to another place please do so.

I was playing for a long period of time with the idea to use a remotely managed obey, where I will send them my rig and they will host it for a period of time. As you probably noticed, this is a very early stage and I have no clue where to start from or even if that is something that can be done.

Trying to google this (I have not ChatGPT it yet) and I am a bit lost. Has anyone done it? Do you have any suggestions? Would I need to send just the OTA + imaging equipment or do I also need to send the mount and etc. Just starting from somewhere and I will see where this will take me.... Thankyou in advance for any help/ advice/ suggestion 🙂

22 hours ago, gilesco said:

Typically you need to send the mount. I would expect the pier to be provided. They may also provide a PC which you can remotely access.

You could just start talking to a provider and they will let you know how they work.

e.g. https://www.pixelskiesastro.com/

Thanks - I’ve sent them an email and awaiting their response.

This looks like a very interesting way to do things and with their location, you should have a great many clear skies. My biggest concern around supplying my own equipment into Spain from Britain is the effects of brexit on the whole process. At one time this would have been very simple, but now there are potentially going to be duties payable on anything that moves there.

On 11/02/2023 at 16:59, Mandy D said:

This looks like a very interesting way to do things and with their location, you should have a great many clear skies. My biggest concern around supplying my own equipment into Spain from Britain is the effects of brexit on the whole process. At one time this would have been very simple, but now there are potentially going to be duties payable on anything that moves there.

You may be able to claim back relief on the equipment when they return to the UK. There are terms and conditions to this relief (i.e. be returned to the UK within 3 years).

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-less-import-duty-and-vat-when-re-importing-goods-to-the-uk-and-eu