SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 - Sketch from image on 28-11-22

Ratlet

I've realised that whilst the weather might be an unmitigated disaster recently, it doesn't have to be a major impediment to my enjoyment of astronomy as I mostly sketch my observations with a side hustle in astrophotography (I set up my astro rig whilst my scope cools.  I leave it running till I'm done).  With this in mind I decided to try sketching my astrophotos.  This one from a Tair 3 (300mm focal length) and AA Hypercam 533c.

This is partially because I need something to do when it is cloudy and partially because there is much more detail visible in a controlled environment sketching from an image so in theory it should help sharpen my skills and let me get a better feel for the results.

I far preferred the inverted graphite sketches I was making so decided to go for broke and try the Mellish method although I've used Mary Mcintyre's method of scraping the pastel onto the card.

I really enjoyed doing this.  It's very relaxing and I'm quite happy with the results.  I think I need to get a pen with an actual point rather than a ball point as doin hte stars was a bit of a mare.  Also I struggled to get the pastel to adhere to the card and retain much colour (not that it was a major issue for M45 since I think the ghostlyness of the nebulosity works well.  I do need to work on my star placement, but I think 9/10 astronomers would be able to guess what the sketch is of.

Any constructive feedback would be gratefully received.

M45-2.jpg

• Like 8