Intel nuc starwave side by side bracket 3D Print

Ratlet

3D printed this because I was getting more than a little fed up of the mess and weight of cables from my rig to my table whilst imaging.  Also I like to use that table with my observing setup. 

I almost exclusively image with small(ish) lenses so I bought a starwave side by side mount to make getting a guidescope mounted easier.

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-dual-vixensynta-175-inch-side-by-side-dovetail-bar-kit-230mm-ota-separation-208-p.asp

Back has 2 guide holes which fit into the blank holes on the mount and stops the nuc from rotating.  Alignment means the nuc has its usb ports pointing along the same axis as the scopes.  Small bit of clearance on the bottom to allow routing of cables.

This first one was a bit tight on the old alignment of the guide posts, just waiting on the rev1 print to finish and I'll upload the stl.

PSX_20221201_082449.jpg

PSX_20221201_082359.jpg

PSX_20221201_082332.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SteveNickolls said:

All looking very good, well done. 👍 

Often thought about a dual rig set up, and often thought how the side by side dovetail is then connected to the mount sadle? Can you enlighten?

Cheers,
Steve

You just put it on as normal, but have the saddle rotated 90 degrees from what you normally would when you lock the clutches, ie make sure the 'scope' is pointing in the normal direction..

There is an extra step in balancing as you need to make sure the side by side mount itself is balanced along the axis of the long dovetail.  This video demonstrates what I would do:

Although if I'm being honest I've not been too worried about getting the balance spot on as the drag from the cables had made it difficult.  Shouldn't be a problem now though!

Because of the imbalnce in weight between a guidescope and Tair 3 it usually means that the Tair will be very close to the mount.  Given the size of the vixen clamps I think I might try this with the 130PDS as well just to save having to come up with another NUC mounting bracket.

• Like 1