NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSOs visible from big cities

Hello!

Can anyone help me telling me which deep sky objects are the brightest, therefore visible from big cities?

I live in Sao Paulo, a huge city (in America just New York is larger), so there's a LOT of air and light polution here.

I was able to see M42 easily, then I was looking for a galaxy last night but couldn't see it, and I think I was on the right spot.

I would be very helpful to know which DSOs are the brightest, so I won't waste my time trying to find something I wouldn't be able to see anyway...

Thank you!

Galaxies are always hard from a light-polluted site: NGC253 (Sculptor galaxy) may be the brightest you can go for at your latitude. Clusters (open and globular) and planetary nebulae are often easier. A good bet may be to get a nebula filter (e.g. Lumicon UHC) which would help on objects like M42.

James Dunlop made a catalogue of southern-hemisphere DSOs in the 19th century, similar to the Messier list, and these are highlights:

Dunlop 100

You could also try objects from the Caldwell catalogue:

Caldwell catalogue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Andrew

Archived