NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Before I mess it up...2

Why are you removing the dovetail ?

If you do have to remove it, then I suggest you remove the front and rear cell, so you have a 'naked' tube to work with. You don't want anything rattling about or swarf in the tube and damaging the surfaces. Also, a piece of masking tape at each end, so you can realign them when you reassemble it.

This reminds me to think about/find a [better]solution to attach a dovetail to my 're-modded' ETX105. At the time of posting, the dovetail is secured to the OTA with a pair of self-adhesive lined Jubilee hose rings/clips.

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

small_IMG_0385.JPG..jpg.96b510aeac1ce230208486066271a09d.jpgPIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPGPIC012.JPG.3b3b2b4aaf9826a35f9fd23345ee7b76.JPG

Edited by Philip R

I want to add a L shaped bracket to hold a motor focuser.  I won't be removing the dovetail, just taking that bolt out to then bolt the bracket on.  Possibly will have to try a longer bracket and use one of the spare holes  instead.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2022 at 19:23, TheThing said:

I want to add a L shaped bracket to hold a motor focuser.  I won't be removing the dovetail, just taking that bolt out to then bolt the bracket on.  Possibly will have to try a longer bracket and use one of the spare holes  instead.

What motor focuser will you be adding?

How are you planning to connect the focuser to the Mak127? I tried a few methods that didn't work but eventually found a fellow in Portugal who makes a great 3d printed system.

If you're interested I could post a link to his YouTube channel.

I'm going to hang the Motor off a L shaped dovetail them use a belt drive and toothed cogs to actually turn the focusing know.  I've seen a YouTube on it, I think from Cloudy Nights, which seems to work quite well.  I struggle to find focus for solar system imaging, even with a clothes peg on the focusing knob. I'm hoping that the motor focuser with an old HiTechAstro controller will do the trick like it used to on my old newt.

I would be interested to see the video you suggest though.  Might be easier then trying to find a L shaped bracket long enough but not too heavy!

1 hour ago, TheThing said:

I'm going to hang the Motor off a L shaped dovetail them use a belt drive and toothed cogs to actually turn the focusing know.  I've seen a YouTube on it, I think from Cloudy Nights, which seems to work quite well.  I struggle to find focus for solar system imaging, even with a clothes peg on the focusing knob. I'm hoping that the motor focuser with an old HiTechAstro controller will do the trick like it used to on my old newt.

I would be interested to see the video you suggest though.  Might be easier then trying to find a L shaped bracket long enough but not too heavy!

I tried a couple of times with an L bracket and had big problems, I then found this fellow on YT who makes a 3D printed adapter kit that suits Mak127's with a fixed dovetail, just make sure that the orientation of the dovetail on your tube corresponds with the one in this video. If it doesn't then he also makes a kit that is suitable for the other orientation.

• Thanks 1

So, I've e-mailed Vasco and was pleasantly surprised at the price of the bracket etc.  I've ordered one this morning and he thinks he'll be able to post it out tomorrow.  Pretty good service.  I'll update once received.

• Like 1