NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How does DSS determine the score of your images?

I have used it a few times now and noticed my scores are pretty different. For instance the first stacking I did (Andromeda) had image scores in the 100's (I think). And last nights stack of M101 images rated them all in the 400s. 

And what number is considered a good score?

I am pretty sure the numbers are arbitrary and are not comparable between different scopes and cameras, and conditions on the night and so on. So the quality estimation mostly works as a tool to tell you the relative difference of your data that night.

As for how its calculated the user manual only briefly mentions that it is based on star size and roundness.

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

I am pretty sure the numbers are arbitrary and are not comparable between different scopes and cameras, and conditions on the night and so on. So the quality estimation mostly works as a tool to tell you the relative difference of your data that night.

As for how its calculated the user manual only briefly mentions that it is based on star size and roundness.

I did have a bit of trailing with this image set, and the first set was better. Maybe that was why. Thanks for the help!