Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which 60-62mm refractor - RVO vs Altair vs Skywatcher

soojooko

I'm going to be in the market for a 60-62mm refractor in a few weeks - to mount on my Star Adventurer. These three have caught my eye:

RVO Horizon 60ED

Altair 60 EDF

Skywatcher Evolux 62ED 

Both the RVO and Altair seem literally identical specs wise. Both are hand picked with claims of  0.95 Strehl or higher. Both have a dedicated flattener for around £100 extra.

Right now - I cant see the reason to spend an extra £100 on the Altair. All I seem to get for the extra money is the handle bar + the Altair name which may be a better investment if I sell down the line.

As far as the Evolux goes - I can't find much info about the glass it uses. And the claimed tube weight of 2.5kg is too much for the Star Adventurer. Although I doubt the OTA weighs this much - I cant see any evidence to back this up. Basically, theres too many unknowns so I'm drawn towards the RVO or ALtair.

So, anybody with experience with any of these telescopes? Any differences between the RVO and Altiar I'm unaware of? And if anybody owns the Evolux 62ED, can you confirm the OTA weight?

Thanks for reading.