Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hypercam 533C or Uranus C

Ratlet

With the crash of the £ and what's likely coming up I've decided I would like to pull the trigger on a dedicated astro cam before prices rise.

I was thinking about the palyer one Saturn or Uranus, but the Altair hypercam is not much more than the Saturn so will probably get that as it features active cooling.

Mostly my imaging will be 200 to 300mm through prime focus lenses but I will eventually rope my 130pds into service down the line.  Using astronomy tools I see that this will be undersampled on the shorter focal lengths most likely.

I've seen the thread on the Uranus but was wondering if anyone has experience of the hypercam?  I think the larger sensor size and larger pixels will be better all in all.  Any thoughts.

39 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

as it features active cooling

Player One has Active Cooling System (ACS) for uncooled cameras

Active Cooling System (ACS) for uncooled cameras – Player One Astronomy (player-one-astronomy.com)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Alternatively you can use smartphone coolers. They will never be as good as dedicated AP camera cooling but they can help somewhat and do not cost much.

7 minutes ago, Dark Raven said:

Player One has Active Cooling System (ACS) for uncooled cameras

Active Cooling System (ACS) for uncooled cameras – Player One Astronomy (player-one-astronomy.com)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Alternatively you can use smartphone coolers. They will never be as good as dedicated AP camera cooling but they can help somewhat and do not cost much.

Cheers.  I di see that, but the hypercam is £25 more than the saturn at that point so it seems a better option just to buy an all in one unit which is designed from the ground up for active cooling

I believe that the hypercam should allow a configurable set point on the temperature tho, and I'm not sure if that would work on the Saturn.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2022 at 15:19, Ratlet said:

I think my only concern with the hypercam is the optical window which it says "Colour UVIR filter 400-690nm AR coated" not sure if that will impact on nebulas

I see you've already made your purchase so this is a largely pointless addition to the conversation 😀

Visible light goes from about 400 - 700nm, so the UVIR cover window only cuts a tiny section at the extreme end of red, and all the major nebulae emission lines (Oiii/Ha/Sii) will pass through to the sensor. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

I see you've already made your purchase so this is a largely pointless addition to the conversation 😀

Visible light goes from about 400 - 700nm, so the UVIR cover window only cuts a tiny section at the extreme end of red, and all the major nebulae emission lines (Oiii/Ha/Sii) will pass through to the sensor. 

Thanks for that.  It's nice to get confirmation.  They also sell a clear glass window too if it presents any problems.  I suspect that it will work out well as I'm using vintage lenses at the moment so bloat and chromatic aberation will likely remain an issue.