NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher MD

Hi guys, recently bought a scope astromaster 130 EQ and it’s the Motor drive version, just wondering if this motor is a gimmick or if it’s really usable for long exposure tracking, what’s the best case I can realistically expect from it. Any tips and tricks from anyone that has used one of these motors? 

thanks in advance

Hi @nutter241 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

As per @Cosmic Geoff reply. Maybe OK for lunar, planetary or solar, (with a full-aperture solar filter), as exposure times are not that long.
For deep-sky stuff, it will/may need a lot of 'tweaking' and other stuff to get acceptable results, as exposure times are a lot longer.     

Thanks for the reply guys, I am hoping to hone my skills on the planets before I jump into dso’ so fingers crossed it will do for now as the jump to a “proper” tracking mount would cost more than my entire setup haha :). Let’s see how things go.