NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

August 28 (just), 2022: First go at Jupiter in a while

Had a go at Jupiter between clouds (and with choppy seeing). I used the old Celestorn C8, Vixen flip-mirror, ZWO ADC, Siebert Optics 1.3x tele-centric Barlow, and ASI183MC. A quick stack of 30% out of 90s worth of images (some 2000 out of 6000 frames) in AS!3 followed by sharpening in Registax yields this result:

Jup_005950_lapl4_ap114RS6.thumb.png.d250961f114ca95b5fcc846e92e23827.png

Not too bad given conditions, but the moon on the left looks like there is some internal reflection going on (maybe in the ADC?). The effect can be processed out by deconvolution, but it is a bit of a pain. Will process  the rest of the data tomorrow, and maybe make a little animation

• Like 9

8 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Had a go at Jupiter between clouds (and with choppy seeing). I used the old Celestorn C8, Vixen flip-mirror, ZWO ADC, Siebert Optics 1.3x tele-centric Barlow, and ASI183MC. A quick stack of 30% out of 90s worth of images (some 2000 out of 6000 frames) in AS!3 followed by sharpening in Registax yields this result:

Jup_005950_lapl4_ap114RS6.thumb.png.d250961f114ca95b5fcc846e92e23827.png

Not too bad given conditions, but the moon on the left looks like there is some internal reflection going on (maybe in the ADC?). The effect can be processed out by deconvolution, but it is a bit of a pain. Will process  the rest of the data tomorrow, and maybe make a little animation

Your image is coming out nice. I still have to try stacking mine from last night. I see you also caught Callisto a while after it came out of eclipse. I noticed it first appearing as a tiny bump on the edge of Jupiter and then separating. It looked a little strange coming out at that angle when the rest of the moons were in a nice straight line across the sky.

• Like 1