NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help Using AstroDon Filters

SteveBz

Hi People,

I've just refreshed my setup from a Newtonian C8-N to an RC8 with SX mono with AstroDon photometric filters.  The whole process is new to me, so I'm guessing when I suggest that the filter question is even the right question.

Last night produced about 2 hours of images which I have processed here using Siril:

image.png.39bd0ca3885ba42bfa93cf0935d14b8c.png

The question really, is that although I quite like the richness of the field, the colours are unconventional to say the least and It's not clear to me why.  If it's just the effect of a new filter system and photometric filters always look like this, then I'm fine with that.  If there is another issue, then I should probably address it.  This is about 2 hours worth of data from last night in LRGB.  Here's my equipment breakdown:

• RC8,
  • SXVF-H16
  • SX filter wheel
  • AstroDon Colorimetric filters (Rc, V, Bc & Exo-planet).

The Exo-planet filter is yellow and I'm using it to approximate to Lum.  The Bc Filter images are much darker than the other colours and this is why I wonder if the characteristic blue ring on M57 is missing.

Any comments welcome.

Kind regards

Steve.

• Like 1

Is there any particular reason you got photometric filters? These weren't designed for LRGB imaging, but rather to do photometry. Also, in stead of using a yellow filter for L, try combining data from the other filters to create a synthetic luminance. Specifically, the Exoplanet filter is blue blocking, so will dim any blue areas in your RGB image if you use it as luminance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wimvb said:

Is there any particular reason you got photometric filters? These weren't designed for LRGB imaging, but rather to do photometry. Also, in stead of using a yellow filter for L, try combining data from the other filters to create a synthetic luminance. Specifically, the Exoplanet filter is blue blocking, so will dim any blue areas in your RGB image if you use it as luminance.

Hi Wim,

Thanks for this.  So I think I found the problem.  I had defined the filters in KStars clockwise instead of anticlockwise (or the other way round).

I have photometric filters because I got a deal on the filter wheel, and they were already in it.

But I do have a clear filter, and maybe I should use that as the Lum filter instead.

I'll try next clear night.

Kind regards,

Steve.

• Like 1