NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheap Flat Panel

Tracing light panels sold at bookstores will do the trick just fine and dont cost all that much.

Amazon has a lot to offer here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=tracing+panel&crid=2D0C94AYPYRAE&sprefix=tracing+panel%2Caps%2C104&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I bought one cheap A4 panel from amazon and while it feels like a cheap plastic toy it has worked well enough for taking flats. The usb connection in mine is a bit spotty though and only works reliably if i have the cable taped down, but it only has to work for 10 seconds at a time so no big deal for me, but just know you get what you pay for.

• Thanks 1

Not as cheap as the tracing pads, but I use an Led video light. Prior to this, I used to use a tablet screen with a blank white background which gave me issues with over correction in the corners of my my L-extreme filter flats, but since I started using this panel with a few layers of white t-shirt, they've worked out fine! Now I'm doing mono imaging, my SHO subs are calibrating fine. 

You can adjust the led brightness and colour temperature using scroll wheels on the side. I use 1% brightness and 5600K to keep the colour white. Oh, and it's battery powered which lasts forever. I've charged mine twice since I bought it in October 21.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07TYLGFD5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Thanks 1

I bought the Amazon panel too.

In A3 to accommodate my 200mm SCT.

What size is your OTA, you didn't say ?

It didn't dim enough on its own dim settings, so I tried a PWM dimmer .

But at a low enough setting it flickered.

So I ditched the PWM dimmer and added 3 layers of ND 0.6 filter.

That gave me 0.8 to 1 second exposures on the DSLR AV setting.

Michael

• Like 1

I also use a LED video light and it is working quite well. Needs some paper to filter the light even at 1% brightness for RGBL filters otherwise it is great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DHTD2TQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would appear that  mine is not available any more but it looks very similar to Richard_'s one.  Can't really go wrong with one of these at <£60.

• Thanks 1

I use a tracing panel with a tinted  light grey Perspex sheet 3mm thick taped to it to reduce brightness (it’s too bright even on the lowest setting). Keep notes on every filter (exposure time, whether white T-shirt is single or double, whether a sheet of paper is also needed the panel) to ensure the histogram is centred. If taking flats the morning after a session, you need to keep light conditions constant. If the door was closed when you tested taking flats (I take mine in the garage) it needs to be closed when you do the calibration frames. One day I may get a bespoke flat panel but the setup I have works & cost around £35 including the T-shirt. 

• Thanks 1

I've used an IKEA FLOALT LED panel in combination with several layers of white cotton fabric for years. Worked well enough. A friend uses a LED panel from Bauhaus with good results. It's mounted on the observatory wall.

• Like 1