Bode's star catalogue of over 17,000 stars

Agerskov

Hello all
When Bode released Uranographia in 1801 he also released a catalogue with more than 17,000 stars. 

Does anybody know where you can find that catalogue or just the data?

So far my Google searches haven't been a success. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 18:06, Agerskov said:

Hello all
When Bode released Uranographia in 1801 he also released a catalogue with more than 17,000 stars. 

Does anybody know where you can find that catalogue or just the data?

So far my Google searches haven't been a success. 

Thanks in advance 

There is a reduced catalogue of double stars based on Bode's 1801 catalogue in a 1822 "Memoir of the Royal Astronomical Society" 

It's available via Google Books here  (catalogue starts on p115) 

I'll keep looking through Google Books to see if I can find more..,

And here's the whole thing as far as I can tell - descriptions in German and French

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Allgemeine_Beschreibung_und_Nachweisung/NUlRAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=bode&printsec=frontcover

Measurements seem to be given in Grads, Minutes, Seconds - I gather Grads were a regular angular measure in German speaking lands, they were defined to have 100 Grads in a right angle. 

(One feature of the use of Grads, is that with the metric measurement system, 1 Grad on the Earth's surface represented a distance of exactly 100km)

Edited by Gfamily
  • Thanks 2

Thank so very much - I really appreceate it. 

Especially that you mentioned the difference in German degrees. I have learned that the degrees is called new-degrees (nygrader in Danish) when a whole circle has 400 of them. I didn't knew the relation to the metric system where 1 new-degree was 100km.

The most enjoyable greetings

• Thanks 1