NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help needed with red dot finder

i have a celestron 130 eq with the std red dot finder mounted on it, the problem is i caught it the other day and broke off one of the adjuster screw so i can no longer adjust it. can anyone tell me if there is a red dot finder that is universal or better that i can fit on this scope or do i have to see if i can get a replacement from celestron. i have been looking at these Finderscope, Star Pointer (item #51630) / Celestron.com - Telescope | Computerized Telescopes | Microscopes | Binoculars | SkyScout

are they any good.

Sorry to hear that. Not sure about whether that's fixable or how easy it would be to replace. I'd suggest giving Steve @FLO a call though. I have that RDF and personally, think the window is a little small. I use the Baader Skysurfer III which has a larger window, which I find easier to use.

I don't know, the Skysurfer III comes with 3 different fittings. The RDF on the Astromaster is removable... see here and it may be one of the fittings will just slot in place. Hopefully someone will be along shortly and can advise. As to the adjuster screw you broke, is the thread still buried in the body of the finder ? Can it be removed ?

It looks like a standard red-dot finder, which I can buy here for $20. I have one on each scope, and they are indispensible. They are sold uunder various brand names, but are all about the same, and fit a standard finder bracket. If you are handy, you might be able to turn the broken screw out of the finder, and replace it, but at the price, it shouldn't be a big worry.

cheers for the info everyone. think i will look at the telrad as suggested on the link.

the threads are stuck inthe rdf and the only way i could get them out would be drill it, i think this would be difficult as its so small and difficult to hold without damaging it more.

cheers for the info everyone. think i will look at the telrad as suggested on the link.

the threads are stuck inthe rdf and the only way i could get them out would be drill it, i think this would be difficult as its so small and difficult to hold without damaging it more.

So, this is one of those 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' scenarios.

Archived