NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New focuser JMI or skywatcher low profile

Dear Members, 

I've a 200p, with the standard single speed focuser. I've been using it for the last two years without any problems. 

However, as my accessories have increased. I find my dimple crayford struggling, with slip and tilt. I've a IMX571 camera, MPCC, 5*2" manual filter wheel, and multiple Spacers. I estimate the total weight to be around 1.7kgs. 

My initial plan was to get the Baader steel-track NT, however it seems to be out of stock everywhere and no idea of when it will be back. 

So now I'm thinking of getting the skywatcher/ovl low profile focuser, or the JMI Event horizon Single speed focuser. (https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/jmi-ev-2n-single-speed-2-event-horizon-newtonian-focuser.html) 

I don't think buying a dual speed version of this event horizon focuser, is a good idea. As I already have a ZWO EAF, and will use that for focuser control. 

Looking forward to people's opinion in deciding which one to get. As the skywatcher is obviously cheaper and readily available, but I also like the event horizon, that it has a rotating base, which means will be easy framing. 

Cheers, 

Nish