NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New user planetary questions

ok so got my scope recently and used for observing only ,now i would like to take some shots of planets and moon using canon 60d .

I have read up hell of a lot and i have the kit to connect on the way,are there any basic settings i need to know as a general starting point with this camera and my sky-watcher 250p flex. (its on a dob mount so manual tracking only)

i have read that i need to record in crop movie mode at 5x but it looks a higher mag than that to me i would say at least 7x ,i cannot see anywhere this can be adjusted so hopefully one of you clever people will be still using this old camera and can kindly point me in the right direction.

shutter speeds,iso,exposure ect any pointers of great help ,thank you.

Hi geezer

If you want wide angle shots of the moon you may need to ditch movie modes and stack still shots.

As the moon is usually bright, ISO800 is said to be the sweet spot, and fast exposures to reduce the effect of mirror shake.

For planets I wouldn't think the difference between 5X or 7X will matter, at 1200mm FL the planets will still be small enough to fit.

Michael

On 08/02/2022 at 12:15, michael8554 said:

Hi geezer

If you want wide angle shots of the moon you may need to ditch movie modes and stack still shots.

As the moon is usually bright, ISO800 is said to be the sweet spot, and fast exposures to reduce the effect of mirror shake.

For planets I wouldn't think the difference between 5X or 7X will matter, at 1200mm FL the planets will still be small enough to fit.

Michael

cheers michael,,, is the crop mode the best way to go for planetary ? i have a while to wait now to try i guess ....moon first .