ZWO ASI 1600MM Pro + Filter wheel. Will this be the best choice for me?

AstroGS

Hi, I am debating the idea on investing in a dedicated camera for DSO and some galaxies (scope permitting).

My setup is a WO GT81 + WO A6III Flattener.

AsiAir Plus

Today I’m using a modded Canon 450d and it has some great job indeed. But, wanting to get more detail from DSOs.

So, is the ASI 1600MM Pro the best solution at this level of money? Which filter wheel and filters would you recommend? Any alternative?

Best

george

On 30/01/2022 at 14:06, George Sinanis said:

Hi, I am debating the idea on investing in a dedicated camera for DSO and some galaxies (scope permitting).

My setup is a WO GT81 + WO A6III Flattener.

AsiAir Plus

Today I’m using a modded Canon 450d and it has some great job indeed. But, wanting to get more detail from DSOs.

So, is the ASI 1600MM Pro the best solution at this level of money? Which filter wheel and filters would you recommend? Any alternative?

Best

george

It depends, the 294mm pro is more sensitive. but is more expensive and is not available in a package deal like the 1600mm pro. 

The 294 will also require 31mm filters as opposed to 1.25 inch (Similar price, but to be honest I have a preference for mounted filters). 

There is also the 533mm pro about to be released and I would consider it the better sensor sensor  of the three although with a smaller field of view at a given wavelength. 

However, all things said any of these three will work just great. 

Adam

• Like 1

Thanks @Adam J - i assume that 294MM Pro is better because it is a newer model but, that does not make 1600MM Pro less capable. I would think that moving to a dedicated MONO cooled like an ASI1600 would be much better than the modded Canon 450d that i am using and the difference will be significant.

12 minutes ago, George Sinanis said:

Thanks @Adam J - i assume that 294MM Pro is better because it is a newer model but, that does not make 1600MM Pro less capable. I would think that moving to a dedicated MONO cooled like an ASI1600 would be much better than the modded Canon 450d that i am using and the difference will be significant.

Its difficult to quantify as your image scale comes into play,  but it is around 1/3rd more sensitive. Has some less desirable qualities too though in terms of calibration. (As does the 1600 in terms of micro-lens /  diffraction reflections) It has larger pixels which is better for speed, but not detail. All in all the 294 is better in most situations, but you are correct the difference between a DSLR and a cooled mono camera dwarfs the difference between the 1600 and 294. 

It would be difficult to pick a mono camera that would leave you disappointed with your purchased in comparison to a DSLR the jump is just that big. 

Adam

• Like 1