Want to get started with astrophotography

Ok, so I have an eq mount that does goto and tracks

I am looking for a way to get into taking pictures that is cheap, yes cheap but will get me experience in the things I need to know before I run out and spend alot of money to take really good pictures.

I have some begal bones black, raspberry Pi 3B+, some arduino mega's. Oh and a 12mm adapter for my eye peice.

So I was thinking of setting up a arduino cam, like some have used. I have seen some pretty nice pics that have come from these but I do not know which ones to buy.

I am wanting to do planets at first, then move on to deep space objects later. Advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help

David Mikesell

San Jose, CA

David, can you give is some more information on your current scope and mount, and define cheap in terms of a real budget.  This way it will stop people recommending a path which is way out of your price range, or suitability with the kit you have

Planetary imaging and DSO imaging are quite different things.

If you want to first get into planetary imaging - well, you can do that on a very small budget.

I've taken this image:

image.png.455a761c2b4831019561c747e47ec3c8.png

With extremely limited budget. Scope in question was 130/900 Newtonian on Eq2 mount that was tracking with simple DC motor (not stepper).

Camera used was Logitech c270 web camera - modified by removing front lens and added piece of PVC pipe to act as nose piece.

I agree with above suggestion - first, give us idea of what sort of equipment you already have and what is your budget so we can advise accordingly.