Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dodgy Barlow?

I've always been a bit dissatisfied with my scope's performance at higher magnifications (it's a 100mm SkyWatcher Heritage mini-dob). Yesterday, when in daylight I was incidentally checking the alignment of the finderscope, I noticed that adding in the Barlow made views much, much worse. Darker, mushier, softer... just yuk, and tweaking the focus only helped a little. The barlow itself has a fair few small spots of muck on it, but otherwise looked fine.

To me this explains why the higher-magnification views have always been unsatisfying with this scope. The Barlow is the stock barlow that came with it. Would I see a significant improvement in quality if by buying a new Barlow?

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, WinchesterAstro said:

Would I see a significant improvement in quality if by buying a new Barlow?

Not necessarily. If you were using a kit eyepiece of 9 or 10mm focal length for the higher-magnification views, this would explain the poor performance, as these eyepieces are not much good and should be replaed by something better. 

I bought a Celestron Omni barlow lens to replace a kit Sky-watcher Barlow and found there was no difference at all.

A daylight view would inevitably be darker at higher magnifications, and the 'seeing' would also affect the view.

That scope is an f4. That is fast and will a) require excellent collimation, and b) good eyepieces.

The EPs provided wont be very good (it really is a budget scope) and I'm not sure it would be worth spending much more on better ones?

Main thing is to check your collimation is spot on.