NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC246 & 255

SiriusDoggy

Nov.28,2021
NGC246 The Skull nebula in Cetus
Also known as Caldwell 56.
The small barred spiral galaxy on the left is NGC255. Even smaller, there are four other galaxies near NGC255 that are visible in the original stacked image.
Explore Scientific ED152 CF APO, ASI2600mmPro,Chroma Filters, iOptron CEM70EC mount, Captured with NINA, Processed with PixInsight.

I'm going to hang on to this data to add to it. I only managed a bit over 2 hours on this subject while I was waiting for M81/82 to get high enough to image.

14x 2min Red = 28min
14x 2min Green = 28min
13x 2min Blue = 26min
6x10 min Ha = 60min

Total Integration Time = 142 minutes

Rotating the image 90° anticlockwise you can make out the skull with two eyes smiling at you!

spacer.png

• Like 9

You have some really faint stuff to the left of NGC255, great stuff! Wonder what a longer integration brings out when its already looking pretty good 👍.

Looks a lot like an Abell cluster, but i couldn't find one at the expected coordinates browsing through the catalogue, wonder if this even has a name other than some weird telephone number of a name?. But looks like it is somewhere around 2 billion lightyears away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure how much more fainter details I could pull out but it would for sure help with the noise level. Normally I wouldn't even post this but seeing as it will probably be next winter before I get a chance to add data to it,  I felt like it was good enough for now.