NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a QHY8 without the TEC Controller?

AMcD

I was hoping my venerable old QHY8 would see me through to the point where I have saved enough to purchase a QHY 268M but, sadly, the DC-102 Tec Controller has developed a short I cannot find.

However, the camera does allow the 12v DC supply to be plugged into it directly, which activates the camera and the fan.  Is there any reason not to use it in this configuration, bypassing the faulty Tec Controller (the buttons on which I never really understood anyway 🙄)?

Many thanks Peter.  I tried the camera without the DC-102 and it did not produce an image, so the direct 12v supply that activates the fan is, as you point out, not sufficient for the camera to function.  I cannot trace the short in my current DC-102 so will have to decide whether to source a replacement.  I have discovered that Lunatico do them for between €65-€75.  Thanks again for the helpful response.

Glade you've found a replacement, did you try Bernard at Modern Astronomy? 

With mine I've found the cable to be the must troublesome... bought a shorter one & needed to remove part of the plastic sleeving to enable a good connection!

I'm sure QHY had user manual on the old website... gone now but possibly available if you contact them. 

The DC-101 was originally supplied with the early QHY8 but it was realised the DC-102 had the advantages of controlling the TEC... with the opportunity of set-point temperature control with the appropriate modifications within the camera. 

Did you have any issues with moisture formation on the CCD sensor during use? 

Peter 

I looked at Modern Astronomy but they will need to get it on back order so I will probably go with Lunatico, when Jaime gets back from his holidays!

I have indeed had issues with ice forming on the sensor during use.  In addition to using the silica gel tube when it is not in use in an effort to extract moisture from the chamber, I deal with this problem when it is in use by wrapping a 2" dew strap around the nose of the camera, which eradicates the ice without an apparent increase in noise on the sensor.   I have looked at various other suggestions online for dealing with the dew/icing issue but the dew strap seemed the most straightforward.

A