NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lots of Firsts with IC1396

Budgie1

Finally, I wasn't working, the sky was clear and it was dark enough to do some imaging! :hello2:

So, what are the Firsts?

1. First proper imaging session of this season. I've had a couple of short tester sessions with Samyang 135mm F2 & EOS 1300D on my old EQ5 mount, but this was the full setup with the HEQ5 and guiding. 
  2. First Light with my new Evostar ED80 DS Pro + 0.85 FF/FR which I got in the FLO Sale, :D
  3. New settings on the ASI294MC Pro - Gain is still 120, but changed the offset to 20 and increased the cooling from -10° to -15°C for this season.
  4. First time imaging the Elephant's Trunk Nebula.

So, this is 2h20m of 2 minute subs with Darks, Flats & Dark-Flats. Stacked in DSS & processed in PI.

1467506456_IC1396-ElephantsTrunkNebula-14082021-2h20m.png.7aa63350b82835d4de9c209e54ee149d.png

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Congrats, using new kit for the first time is often full of frustrations but it seems like you sailed through to produce a good image :)

Thanks Lee,

It wasn't without teething issues like obtaining focus on the new scope took a while and the guide camera worked fine for PA with SharpCap but didn't want to talk to PHD until it had been rebooted.

But apart from that it went quite smoothly. Guiding was showing 0.31 RMS error (0.98 px or thereabouts) but I need to look at the settings to see if I can get it better because I was running on the calibration for my 100ED DS Pro scope.

I initially set up on the Eastern Vail, then thought about it and decided to go for IC1396 because I only had the UV/IR filter in there and I'll save the Vail for the L-eXtreme. ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Budgie1 said:

Thanks Lee,

It wasn't without teething issues like obtaining focus on the new scope took a while and the guide camera worked fine for PA with SharpCap but didn't want to talk to PHD until it had been rebooted.

But apart from that it went quite smoothly. Guiding was showing 0.31 RMS error (0.98 px or thereabouts) but I need to look at the settings to see if I can get it better because I was running on the calibration for my 100ED DS Pro scope.

I initially set up on the Eastern Vail, then thought about it and decided to go for IC1396 because I only had the UV/IR filter in there and I'll save the Vail for the L-eXtreme. ;) 

It's great when everything runs smoothly! My current imaging project is the Eastern Veil too. IC1396 responds well to the L-eXtreme as well though: http://urbanastrophotography.com/index.php/2021/06/10/the-elephants-trunk-nebula/

22 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

It's great when everything runs smoothly! My current imaging project is the Eastern Veil too. IC1396 responds well to the L-eXtreme as well though: http://urbanastrophotography.com/index.php/2021/06/10/the-elephants-trunk-nebula/

That's nice and I do like the sensitivity of the ASI2600. 👍

I'm lucky in that I live in Bortle 2 area, so even last night was good enough for a naked eye Milky Way. As a result, I tend to leave the L-eXtreme to those near full Moon nights.

This is only my second season doing astrophotography, last season was a big learning curve and getting the kit. This season is going to be a bit more planned because I know the targets I want to image again and when I can image them. I also know the kit & the software and don't plan on changing any of it, just concentrate on getting data. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
Spelling.
  • Like 1