Imaging considerations

Good morning all,

I've been a lapsed astronomer for a while and recently got back into things,  I've refreshed my equipment going for a Celestron Nexstar Evo 6. Great scope and worth the added tracking makes following targets much easier (certainly compared to my old dob).

I'm wondering now what I need to bring my planetary imaging A game.  

I used to have an old webcam but that seems to have gone walkabout, so thinking about  ZWO 120 or 224 colour camera. But I'd there any thing I need to consider around extension tubes atmospheric disturbance filters or are they more of a nice to have. 

I'm also thinking about another diagonal, or would you image directly from the back of the scope?

What about auto focusers and how do they work, presumably I need to hook this up to a laptop and use the feed from the camera to make adjustments?

Is there anything else for consideration?

Apologies for the barrage of questions. 

Andy

ASI224

ADC (atmospheric dispersion corrector).

x1.5 barlow element (any x2 barlow element will do if placed at correct distance to sensor. Closer you place it - smaller magnification factor, further away - larger magnification factor. Cheap option Baader classic Q x2.25, expensive / best option Baader VIP)

Electronic focuser as option (I don't use it - but many people prefer to use electronic focuser). You don't need auto focuser - one controller by computer, you just need way to focus without disturbing OTA and introducing vibrations. I just deal with vibrations - touch up focus, wait second / two - judge focus from live image, repeat if needed ...

USB3.0 capable laptop with SSD and enough disk space (you'll need around 50 or so GB free - more you have, longer videos and more interesting project you'll be able to do - like animations of shadow / moon transits on Jupiter and so on).

Don't use diagonal mirror for imaging - use simple extension. SCTs are designed to work at certain primary / secondary distance. If you change that distance too much (and you do when focusing) - you introduce spherical aberration. It is best to use it as you would for visual - with supplied diagonal. It was probably optimized for such usage.

This means that if you have it with 1.25" diagonal - it's best to insure that camera sensor is about 80mm away from rear port of telescope (100mm if you use barlow as barlow moves out focal plane).

• Thanks 1