NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newton for mono rig

I've just upgraded my camera from a DSLR to a mono and I'm looking what my second scope should be to complement my Z73. Newtons have always seemed like a good bargain but I've been a bit scared of the collimation, sometimes it seems trivial and other times I hear people never being able to manage it. From what I gather an f/5 shouldn't be too bad and I've gotten pretty interested in something like a 150/750 which would really let me photograph some of the smaller nebulae and make more galaxies available. Although a 200/800 would be sweet too if it's manageable collimating a faster scope.

What makes me hesitant is I feel like people are often modifying and replacing things to get a decent experience or having trouble with accessories and balancing. So let's say I want to buy something like the TS Optics or Skywatcher 150/750 and use my mono equipment, including an electronic focuser, how carefree would my experience be out of the box? Even with my Z73 I experienced the included dovetail was all but worthless once the imaging equipment was attached. Is guiding typically done successfully from the finder shoe? Should I attach a dovetail on the top and try to balance out the camera with equipment on the primary mirror end? A coma corrector is implied, I don't feel a corrector of some sort differs from other scopes.