LX90 RA Base Removal

Hicks

I'm disassembling my LX90's RA base to sort out some issues that are a bit too awkward to do via the service hatch. I've been following the instructions here https://bissonex.github.io/meade-classic-lx90/websites/jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/ra.html up to the "Separating the bottom half of the base"

Has anyone else gone through this process? How did you manage to remove the flange/plug? I've tried gripping it with long nose pliers whilst turning the bottom half of the base but it really doesn't want to loosen at all. Are there any other tricks to this to get it to start to loosen?

The section that starts with "Under the battery cover is a spanner type plug/flange that threads into the hollow RA shaft. "

Although further searching leads me to believe the RA base on the 8" model might be screwed together and then also glued unlike the 10"+.

Okay, gotcha.

Are you're saying it's too tight to unscrew with long-nose pliers, because there's not enough leverage ?

You could make a pin spanner.

Find two twist-drills that fit snuggly in the holes - the plain ends that is.

Get a length of 2" x 1" and drill two holes near the end, the correct distance apart, using those twist-drills.

Push the drills into those holes, and then insert the pin spanner into the holes in the plug/flange.

Here's a real one to help visualising:

pinspanner.jpg.81b1b155b9368dcb73bf4323033fb83a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Did anyone confirm if the screw was glued in or what they did to free it?   I'm having real problems trying to get the base plate removed so I can check the battery leads as they're not working. 

Posted (edited)

I've not attempted removal just yet, although I do now have the tool above to do so. I was planning to do it this morning which is amusing timing given your post just now, but other things got in the way and the time went.

I can't be certain as I've yet to attempt it, however my understanding is the tool above should help get the vertical screw in the center of the RA base loosened. Then the bottom half of the RA base itself should be possible to unscrew. It's that bottom half of the base that might be glued and need heating to unscrew. At least that's what I recall reading a few years back.

Edited by Hicks