6 in 1 observing chair.

AlexK

I'd like to share my own observing chair design on this wonderful forum. I think, it's well described in all the deatils on my blog long ago, though as many folks are turning into the DIY and ATM hobby during these harsh times of opportunistic price tags and long out of stock wait times it always good to have alternatives to consider, especially with the help of a fellow hobby colleague readily available for consultation in a convenient free-chit-chat format :)

So here it is:
17486614171_43c6eb312e_o.jpg

The Six-in-One are:

1. The tall smoothly adjustable to any height observing chair with the convenient backrest, elbow rests (full arm rests are doable in a snap), foot rests, and even the backboard slant adjustment for the perfect balance.
  2. Ground transportation cradle for the 12" 1:5 full steel OTA. It has wheels, wide sled skis, handles for 2 person carrying, free-standing on 3 points (so can be walked in vertical position, e.g. into an elevator, wall cabinet).
  3. Long 18" high table with one open-top storage bin, and 4 x 2" EPs holes (you can drill more :))) )
  4. Car roof fully enclosed box with resting/braking points for arched roof cross-beams. It survived the attempt to pass through the not fully opened commercial garage gate once :))) (roof beams were bent, but the box protected the OTA)
  5. Car trunk transportation/storage drawer for quick loading, securing, and deployment of the telescope.
  6. Vertical cabinet storage stand for the OTA.

Some folks had been suggested several more uses, notably the wind screen frame and the toilet seat :)))

The transformation between "modes" is done with the help of

1. A small electric screwdriver (Phillips screw head).
  2. Two wood screws (to attach "skis").
  3. Two 1/4"x 20 machine screws (armrests attachment or chair module attachment).
  4. Two furniture legs with M8 thread (always attached to the "skis" but go into different "ports" in different modes).
  5. One 3/4"x20 threaded hand screw ("skis" cross-joining in the "chair" mode).
  6. Two HD bungee cords (to secure the OTA in the cradle and to secure "skis" angle in "chair" mode.

Building materials are:

1. A piece of 3/4" (18mm) redwood plywood (slightly bending bends under the load without breaking).
  2. HD wall shelves' extruded steel supports (L-shapes). - 4.
  3. Thick steel wooden fence gate handles (to procure 6 HD L-shapes) - 3.
  4. 1/4"x 20 machine screws, nuts, washers - 20.
  5. M8-like screws, nuts, washers - 8.
  6. Krieg 1 1/4" plywood screws (to produce L-shapes in plywood) - 12.
  7. Assorted wood screws for double-ply reinforcements and furniture attachment ~20.
  8. Wheels on aluminum L-shapes - 2.
  9. Furniture adjusting screw legs - 2.
  10. 1/2" x threaded rod - 1.
  11. 1/4x20 threaded steel wood inserts - 4.
  12. Outdoor chair foam seats - 2.

Everything is done using very ordinary hand tools: electric hand drill, electric jigsaw, electric screwdriver, manual holes tap.

The total build time I would estimate at around 20 hours.

Edited by AlexK
  • Like 1