NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New spotter and 'Thank you FLO.'

Having just received a generous £50 voucher as runner up in the last IKI observatory processing challenge, I opted to put it towards a new spotter. My elderly Nikon fieldscope never made it from the UK when I moved to France 18 years ago so I've been using a  TeleVue Pronto for wildlife. (We have a good selection from the front door here.) With fixed FL EPs and considerable bulk this is a cumbersome solution for a quick grab-and-look and the view, I suspect, is compromised by a rather basic erecting prism I use.

Wanting something I wouldn't be frightened to leave in the car, I went for this very budget instrument. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/hawke-spotting-scopes/hawke-vantage-20-60x60-spotting-scope.html

FLO's website worked sweetly, the few days' quoted delay was just that, the website found my voucher automatically and Steve patiently answered my silly question about how the post-Brexit pricing arrangements worked. And, hey presto, it arrived this morning. Packaging was as good or better than anything I can remember and knocks Amazon into a cocked hat. So a big thanks to FLO for the prize and the excellent service.

In time-honoured manner we had another arrival just before the 'scope...

501755688_Aprilsnowsmallshed.jpg.7b1cc554602655bc153e3e5c5b251425.jpg

Here's the instrument.

1232341938_HawkeWeb.jpg.5e71d1bc5738fb21f183615d37097c9f.jpg

The slightly springy tripod is included, as is a tough bag and a Pelicase-like box of excellent quality. The tripod will be fine for leaving in the car and using if I forget my ballhead photo tripod. But what about the 'scope? How good can it be for the price? My regular test is a mobile phone mast about 150 metres away, on which assorted plaques have text of different sizes. Hawke versus TeleVue (with indifferent prism) : despite looking through a veil of snowflakes the Hawke won. Seriously. The smallest text was clearer than I've ever seen it in the Pronto without snow. The Hawke's zoom EP gives a smaller FOV than the TV's Radian, naturally, but the Hawke's is a zoom, which is a huge benefit in a fieldscope. And it's so light and handy that it will, I'm sure, get lots of use.

In a nutshell, outstandingly good value.

Olly

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

My regular test is a mobile phone mast about 150 metres away

Interesting.  In the US, we refer to them as cell towers.

Congrats on the win and new spotting scope.

Edited by Louis D
  • Thanks 1