No dark calibration=vignetting?

Hi all,

As a test, I just decided to try processing an image without darks. This was after processing one from quite some time ago before I started using them, in which I was surprised at how noise-free the image was.

What I got was not what I was expecting - really severe vignetting right around the central object.

I'm confused. I thought that's what flats were supposed to correct? Which I used. And dark flats.

I didn't think darks had anything to do with this - just removing sensor and read noise.

Or am I wrong? Again?

Thanks, Brendan

Post edit -  I guess this should be in the image processing section, apologies, mods please feel free to move 

Edited by BrendanC

Yep, not doing dark calibration means messed up flat calibration.

Calibration is not about noise removal - it is about signal removal. You don't remove signal - well, odd things happen.

Flats correct vignetting that is result of light obstruction - it only affects light coming in from the front of the telescope. If your image contains both light signal and dark signal - flats try to correct both, but since dark signal is not affected by obstruction as it is not coming from the front of the scope - you are correcting thing that is not messed up - and you end up messing it up - if you understand what I mean.

In math terms - it is a bit like this:

Pure light case:

light * 0.7 / 0.7 = light

(light that has been reduced to 70% of its original value - gets divided with 70% flat  and you end up with original 100% light)

Now imagine you have following scenario:

(light * 0.7 + dark) / 0.7 = light + dark / 0.7

since you did not remove dark - it ended up in final image - but "corrected" for vignetting that it does not have - so it get corrected "to the other side" - and that is again vignetting.

• Thanks 1