Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro or Celestron Advanced AVX mount for StarSense

I have a SkyWatcher 150 Newtonian (from a Dobsonian mount) and want to move to as simple a system as possible for GoTo operation. The Celestron StarSense looks good and I see it is available for SkyWatcher mounts. I'm thinking of using an HEQ5 Pro mount but wondered if the StarSense will properly integrate with this as compared to how it will definitely work with the Advanced AVX mount.  The HEQ5 looks a better, quieter mount and has a similar payload capacity to the AVX so my preference is to the HEQ5 and using Celestron GoTo control. Just wondering if this mix of provider tech has any issues.

There is a version of Starsense for Synscan which uses an extra module. If it didn't work with a HEQ5 I think we would have heard about it by now...

Note that the Starsense relies on manual entry of the lat/long (once) and the time/date (every time).

I have found that using a GPS module is another way of reducing the fag of GoTo alignment. With an alt-az mount, the only thing left do is a two-star auto align, which is not usually much work.  I found with my CPC800 (with built-in GPS) that the two-star align was only a small part of the work of hauling it outside, erecting it, attaching the fragile bits and powering up and aligning.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The StarSense is brilliant for alignment, once its initial set up is done.  I found mine needed focussing to solve maximum number of stars. Which meant moving the focus in and out in ever decreasing little turns whilst running alignment over and over again. After the initial Auto-align it then needs calibration - do read the instructions. Calibration aligns the camera to the OTA. It is not a guider, it is a goto alignment tool.

It is a Celestron device, there are Celestron and SkyWatcher flavours, they are not interchangeable.  

Once set up operation is very simple, you just push the button. Full alignment may only take a few minutes. A lot easier and less painful than squinting at a red dot or finder scope and then trying to put the star in the middle of the eyepiece (what is an eyepiece?). It will also polar align to aid you setting the manual polar alignment screws. 

If StarSense is run by wifi it will get lat/lon and time from the computer.

I was using a StarSense with the HEQ5 Pro and as mentioned you require a synscan flavour for it too work.

However, the main component required is the connection hub, a Celestron 70000 Starsense Interference Box For Skywatcher - it's available in a few places to purchase separately - if you have that box then you can purchase the standard version of StarSense (or if you already had one then just add the box)

I would advise updating the latest firmware but otherwise it is a great device and work well for me until I switched to EQMOD and plate solving