NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS Optics AZT6 Counterweight or No Counterweight.

I've got an 80mm f6 refractor which weighs just over 3kg with all the kit on. I got it for a grab n go set up. Mounting it has been a nightmare. I've settled on a TS Optics AZT6 portable alt-az mount on a beefy photo tripod. Will I need the counterweight and bar kit to use this set up? The specs say 4kg without and 6kg with. If anyone has already tried using this or similar set up, advice appreciated.

I have the same mount and am using it for a TS-Optiks ED80 which weighs 2.4Kg (tube only) and have it on a Mafrotto 190XPRO tripod, so very similar to your set up.

I am using it happily without a counterweight as a grab and go, but I have tried it with a bar and 2.4Kg counterweight off an EQ1 and it definitely feels more stable and balanced with it in place.

For grab and go I'll continue without it, for longer sessions when the weather is better I'll most likely use it with the counterweight.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, mine seems to cope ok without the weight but it seems it would be better with, just like you say. I'm going to get the EQ6 extension bar which has the M12 fitting and I can use it with the weights I already have.