NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ packages - are the scopes worth having?

Evening all

I have an old skywatcher explorer 130 on an EQ mount. The scope is OK, but the mount isn't at all for me as it's on no way grab n go / easy to set up. I want to sit this on an Alt Az mount and have been eyeing up the skywatcher AZ pronto and AZ5 delux. Are any of the scopes that come with these packages worth having? If they are then i may get the full package, though primarily to take advantage of the stand and mount.

In particular (and i know it's achromatic) i love the idea of the startravel 102. The Astrobiscuit vids on youtube even recommend the startravel 80. I would love a frac, can't justify an ED one, to use it for wide field viewing and be easy to transport and set up is VERY appealing.

So in essence 2 questions. Are these little 80 and 102 fracs any good? Or shall i just get the AZ5 mount for my existing scope?

With thanks

You'd need to tell us what scopes are offered with those mounts.

I have the Startravel 102.  It's quite well made for a budget scope, and the parts are metal rather than plastic.  I found it useful as a widefield scope, but mainly use it for EEVA imaging (q.v.).  If you want a scope for planetary viewing or for splitting double stars, buy something else.

16 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You'd need to tell us what scopes are offered with those mounts.

I have the Startravel 102.  It's quite well made for a budget scope, and the parts are metal rather than plastic.  I found it useful as a widefield scope, but mainly use it for EEVA imaging (q.v.).  If you want a scope for planetary viewing or for splitting double stars, buy something else.

Hi

They offer....:

Startravel 102 frac

127 Mak

130 newt (non collimatable primary mirror)