Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ED80 focusing woes, help needed

kookoo_gr

This is the imaging setup i have for my skywatched80.  It is an atik 383l+, atik efw2, atik oag, pegasus falcon rotator and astrotech 2'' flattener.

20210207_091235.thumb.jpg.1d4fc8c8e6a1b572d7e55f511619585f.jpg

As you can see from the image in order to focus i need to have  almost all the drawtube racked inside with very little room for autofocus adjustment. I managed this by shortening the imaging system as much as possible and i replaced my baader clicklock with a low profile focus ring from primaluce. The biggest issue i have with this setup is that my camera is too heavy (2.6 kg) for the focus ring and i have hard time tightening it thus making it dangerous for my camera to fall off the focuser. Also the camera sags at the focus ring, you can see it in the photo, and the field in not being illuminated evenly and have flexure at my guiding.  

After a lot of search i have the following options and all of them include the removal of the primaluce ring and i would like some advice

1.  Cut the OTA by at least 40mm in order to have the factory focuser and use the baader clicklock. The camera is rock solid on this thing

2. Buy a new focuser with a length including adapters less than 90mm (the factory focuser is 90mm long from the OTA to the drawtube). If you have an option on this one please share it

3. Buy the skywatcher 0.85 reducer/ flattener . I had a few emails with FLO which were very helpful but i would like some extra info.

How long is the reducer? The astrotech flattener i use is 33mm long, the part that is outside the focuser. Also for those that use it with an ed80 how much did the drawtube go out in order to achieve focus?

4. As a desperation option, sell the ed80 and buy another frac which is my least favorite option and have the fear of not achieving focus with the new one.