Which mount ?

Hi - I’ve now after much help decided on my OTA a SW 150 Mak but I would like to ensure I do the most important bit and pick the right mount for my needs. 

i currently do visual not AP so doesn’t need to be fancy but I would like a goto system and one that’s compatible with starsense - I intend to start out doing visual only then expand in to smart phot photography and possibly way down the line a zwo or DSLR camera 

the eq5 pro got has been mention but would like to know if there any others out there I should consider ?? 

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm a beginner myself, but here's my opinion:

Given your scope, I agree with you on the EQ5. For visual astronomy it should handle the scope with ease. As for Astrophotography, for planets and doubles you can get away with cheaper mounts than you would if you wanted to shoot DSOs, since you don't need long exposures and incredibly accurate tracking.

As for other options
If you have the money and don't mind carrying something heavier, you'll see a lot of people highly recommending the HEQ5 everywhere on the internet.

• Like 1

As you are (in my opinion wisely) buying scope and mount separately, you have options.
Trying to plan for the future is though difficult.

As a general rule, think in terms of buy the biggest mount you can afford and lift. That gives you most options on future scopes.
This does though come with a few 'ah but' statements.

Lifting weight and 'carrying from storage to use' weights are quite different. Doorways, steps, distance, etc come to mind.

Today, for visual, an altaz mount is all you need. You can also go down on weight/money for purely visual, leaving money for goto features.

However, if you really want photos, you need an EQ mount and need to make it a size bigger than for visual.
This is because you need much better stability.

Next the Mak for photos. Not really for nice wide views but OK for planets.

A lot of people think in terms of something with a shorter focal length for wider field photos.
SW ED80 or similar size/weight refractors give wider views and get used typically on HEQ5 size.
I will leave further comments on this to others with more knowledge and experience.

Sorry no easy answers.

David.