Vixen GP EQ mount questions

Swithin StCleeve

Hi all.
I've got a Vixen GP EQ on loan to me from a friend. I'm not new to observing but I'm new to EQ mounts, having used Dobs for years, so please excuse my ignorance and daft questions. I want to put a motor on it to enable me to make some first basic steps in astro-photography, (because of lockdown funds are tight, and my plans to buy new astro-gear like flash new mounts have had to be put on hold for now).
But I do like this Vixen mount, it seems sturdy, and I reckon if I get a motor on it and learn to polar-align I'll have some fun imaging with my Skywatcher 8" and DSLR.
Has anyone got any tips for a good not too expensive motor that would suit this mount, or experience of doing basic deep-sky imaging with this set up?
It's a little low for comfort at the moment, (pictured here at a recent Wolverhampton Astronomical Society observation session for the Saturn/Jupiter conjunction). When I next try it I'll extend the legs and maybe use some bricks underneath to add height, unless anyone has any less Heath-Robinson suggestions?
Any general comments on the mount appreciated too. 
Cheers folks.

Vixen.jpg.0d8d6454dd6252a2ef1c19cdf6218213.jpg

I found this picture on-line. Mine just has GP on the side, not GPD. I don't know what the difference is.

unnamed.jpg.97726ce3e35d5f645b509d8fc155d172.jpg

Edited by Swithin StCleeve
Spelling

The GPD is a heavier duty version with higher load capacity.

I recently had the GP mount and found that the Skywatcher EQ5 motor drives fitted straight onto it. I used this set:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/enhanced-dual-axis-dc-motor-drives-for-eq-5.html

Not GOTO of course but at least you can plug an autoguider into it.

This is less expensive but no autoguider connection:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-mount-upgrade-kits/dual-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq5.html

These are a lot less expensive than the Vixen drive systems although the quality is less as well. They do work though.

I did not image with the mount although I'm sure it is capable in the right hands.

• Like 1

Thanks for that reply. Those are dual-axis drives. The motor drives I've been looking at on-line are single axis. When the mount is polar-aligned, will it still need dual axis drives then? 
If so, under what circumstances would you use just a single axis drive, (which I've seen for £28-£50 each).

I told you there'd be some daft questions! ;)

If the mount is perfectly polar aligned the declination drive is not needed, in theory. You could make any declination adjustments using the manual slow motion.

You can get single axis drive systems but, with the hand controller and battery pack, they seem to cost a good chunk of a dual drive system.

I only ever used such drives for tracking when observing so where imaging is concerned, my knowledge runs out real fast !

• Like 1

Thanks. I've never polar aligned before, but I understand the importance of getting it spot on. The polar alignment on this mount doesn't seem to have the circle in the polar viewfinder I've seen on some mounts.
I've seen tutorials on youtube that say the best way to accurately polar align is to get an app on your phone, and align Polaris somewhere on a 'clock face' circle, as Polaris isn't exactly at the celestial pole, I get that. It moves in a small circle.  
The Vixen GP does however have an offset little circle in the polar alignment viewfinder, which would be where you center polaris I assume? I haven't figured out how to make it revolve yet. 

Edit - sorry, I can see how the viewfinder image turns now, and it's obvious the little circle in the viewfinder is where you center Polaris depending om the time of day. 

Edited by Swithin StCleeve