NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice required regarding my first Goto eq mount IOptron CEM 40 or GEM 45 ?

Hello everyone,  

I am now considering to purchase my first goto mount , i have Clectron edge hd 8" OTA , in my region the only available choices are IOptron CEM 40 and IOptron GEM 45 , and my main interest is  Astrophotography (planetary and DSO) . So would u please help me to decide?  , i ve seen  alot of reviews on CEM 40 but less GEM 45 . My main concern is the payload of the OTA and photography gear .

Thanks in advance 

Both are about the same (EQ6 class) and should have absolutely no issue coping with a C8 + imaging equipment. CEM40 can be ordered without iPolar (clone of Polemaster from iOptron) whereas GEM45 comes with iPolar by default. GEM45 is a more traditional German Equatorial with a slightly higher payload capacity (20kg vs 18kg) than the CEM40. iOptron claim the centre balanced design spreads the load more evenly along the RA axis improving the stability compared to the traditional design which has all the payload + counterweights hanging off one end of the RA axis. Since most iOptron mounts are very lightweight (high mount to payload weight ratio), this centre balanced design might really help although there is no evidence to prove that from various reviews or user feedbacks.

Personally I'd get the cheaper one or the one that's actually in stock.

Edited by KP82
  • Thanks 1