Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD Camera and Filters

Can you recommend a CCD camera suitable for variable star observation. Also I believe it's recommended to use a particular green filter so I think the camera would have to have the facility to use a filter.

Cheers

Steve

I use an Atik 460Ex with a photometric V filter. I am sure however many CCD cameras would be suitable. One consideration would be the field of view to ensure enough comparison stars  are in view. My main interest was once imaging so I do have a filter wheel with sufficient places to take  LRGB and Ha,O3,S2 as well as the V.  You can screw a single filter onto the end of a CCD camera so a filter wheel is not essential.

I used to use an Atik 314 Both Atiks are low noise and I find it only necessary to cool to -10 degC .  The chip of the 460 is double the size of the 314. By the way it is not essential that yoou but a V filter straight away. Useful work can be done unfiltered. It is worth getting one once hooked. They are not cheap.

I hope that helps a little.

Dave