IC 405: First attempt with mono camera

Snoani

With 3-4 hours of clear skies forecast on Saturday night I decided to setup for a run with my newly purchased ASI1600MM Pro and LRGB filters.

With the options available inside the field of view that I have at 6pm, I turned my scope towards the Flaming Star Nebula, initially with a plan to try and take 3 hours of luminance data.  However, the weather forecast developed during the night and clouds held off for 6 hours in the end, so I decided to switch things up and take a little colour data as well.  

The image below is therefore made up of 38 x 180s luminance, 15 x 180s of each RGB, taken at temperature of -20C, gain 50, offset 21.  I settled of these settings after a  little research for my Bortle 3-4 sky, but being my first attempt I am not confident that these were optimum.  Taken using a Meade 6000 80mm F/6 and HEQ5 Pro.  

2085866364_201212IC405(LRGB).thumb.jpg.bb466b685e03c6905b058b49cc9b8be5.jpg

I spent a number of hours on Sunday trying to learn how to process L-RGB data with the hope of bringing out more of the nebula, but I think that I am just lacking data.  I therefore hope to take a few more hours of luminance on the next clear night.  

Feedback and guidance is always welcomed.  

Thanks for reading.  

• Like 5