NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Peltier used in cooled astro cameras??

Arran townsend

Hi all,

I'm working on a new diy-based astrophotography setup as I want to get back into this hobby. I have recently purchased a Canon 450d which its soul purpose is for staring at the night sky. 

I want to make modifications to it such as filter removal, mirror motor bypass to prevent the minute vibrations it causes. And more importantly to fit peltier cooling directly onto the back of the sensor. 

For inspiration ive been looking at cameras such as the ASI294MC PRO, which has a small form factor and is able to achieve -30°C on an average night. What I want to know is what type of peltier cooling chip does it have inside? I'm aware it is a 2 stage peltier cooler but I want to know if there are any other engineering trickery used to achieve such low temperatures with a very small fan cooling the hot side.

If anyone has taken apart a camera similar to this... I would like to know what the setup inside the camera looked like.

Thanks,

Arran

11 hours ago, Scorpius said:

You should check out this post: 

Thats very interesting, thankyou for sharing. I will have to take precautions to prevent dew from damaging my camera. I may use conformal coating on the cameras electronics aswell as a 3dprinted casing to extend the gap between the sensor and the screen (to house the peltier and fan) this will be ventilated ofcourse. Im also considering using mini fans to keep a constant airflow over the electronics to prevent dew from forming