NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help me find a good scope

Hello guys im new to astronomy and i want to choose my first telescope. I need it for visual astronomy and also for planet imaging a bit. In visual i want it to perform well both on planets and DSOs. I also want it to be affordable not too expensive. But it must be also portable so i conld easily transport it on my holidays. Any ideas. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by AstroNtinos

You cannot really get all of those in the one telescope unfortunately.

In particular planets and DSO require very different performance.

It would help if you can indicate what price range you had in mind.

Many people start out with a small to medium dobsonian as a first telescope, easy to use for beginners and lets you see most objects .

Sky-Watcher Heritage-150P Flextube Dobsonian Telescope | First Light Optics    is a good starter telescope and being a flextube can fold down small for transporting.

A review of it here    Sky-watcher Heritage 150p Flex Tube Dobsonian Telescope - New for 2020 - YouTube

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

It would help to know price range, portability requirements, if you are good with learning collimation, want zero maintenance, if you want to learn the sky via star hopping, push to or go-to.  Of course ask if you are not sure on any of these.  

Without knowing the above, I say 4” AT102EDL on StarSeeker IV mount or a 8-10” Dob on push or go to.  First is more portable/less maintenance, latter has more aperture/more logistics.

Also another key consideration: Newts (of which a Dob is a type) can’t do terrestrial viewing.  So if you want to look at mountains, lakes, oceans, birds, etc.  have to get a refractor, Mak-Cass or SCT (latter two would be a bit of overkill, but can do it).

4 hours ago, ABQJeff said:

It would help to know price range, portability requirements, if you are good with learning collimation, want zero maintenance, if you want to learn the sky via star hopping, push to or go-to.  Of course ask if you are not sure on any of these.  

Without knowing the above, I say 4” AT102EDL on StarSeeker IV mount or a 8-10” Dob on push or go to.  First is more portable/less maintenance, latter has more aperture/more logistics.

Speaking of the requirements i would spend a max of 500 euros and I want it to be portable because i take a lot of things with me on my holidays and i would prefer no maintenance. I will be good idea to buy a goto mount.

Edited by AstroNtinos