NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A question about using the "Aladin" software to get accurate coordinates????

SlimPaling

Hi ….

Can anybody help me?

I can enter in two types of celestial coordinates into my scope guiding software.

I can enter either  RA (Real)  & DEC (Real)" in one set data entry boxes … or … I can enter “RA (2000) & DEC (2000)" into another set of boxes ….. whichever set of boxes I fill in the software automatically fills in the other empty boxes.

I am currently using “Aladin” to frame my planned image and also to accurately get the coordinates which I use in my scope guiding software.

My problem, despite trying, is that I don’t know if the coordinates that Aladin gives my is the “Real” or “J2000” versions …. so I do not know which box to fill in on my scope software :-(((

Can anybody please help me by telling me which type of coordinates Aladin is giving me?

Cheers Mike

Hi Nigel ...

Many thanks for taking the time to give me a suggestion.

I spend quite a lot of time looking for the link where you suggested and I also spent a lot of time trying to find any mention in the Aladin manual .... I failed on both counts 😞

However ... I eventually discovered that I could easily specify which coordinates I needed ( J2000) in the Edit/User Preferences drop box on the top left strip :-))) Bingo!

Mike