NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting back into the groove

Paul2019

Hi guys, 

Been a while, havent taken the camera outside for what feels like an eternity. So tonight was the night and I whacked it out and took a few minutes of data on M31,

I dont have much in the way of gear so this was taken using a canon 400d (unmodded) and tripod. 20 x 8 sec subs plus 10 x darks, processed very slightly in GIMP. 

As ever feedback is appreciated, hoping to get some gear soon but Ill keep at it!

2009503654_M31processed.thumb.png.87062a89a78c42e25092a8079458c1fb.png

Hi Paul

The good news is that your stars are round so you have good focus and haven't made the mistake of taking too long exposures on a tripod.

The bad news is there isn't enough data to do the subject justice. I took 45 minutes total of M31.

So you'll need hundreds of short exposures.

So what ISO did you use ? I would guess 400 or 800 with the 400D.

Is that the longest exposure before you get star trailing ? If not keep upping until you see trailing.

Michael

• Like 1

17 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Paul

The good news is that your stars are round so you have good focus and haven't made the mistake of taking too long exposures on a tripod.

The bad news is there isn't enough data to do the subject justice. I took 45 minutes total of M31.

So you'll need hundreds of short exposures.

So what ISO did you use ? I would guess 400 or 800 with the 400D.

Is that the longest exposure before you get star trailing ? If not keep upping until you see trailing.

Michael

Hey, 

Yeah 8secs is about the longest I can go without trails, I did some work on the milky way last night, aiming at sadir @ 18mm. Tried 25secs but it's probably too long. 

I also think I haven't put enough / anywork into processing. 

Good news is I have a 70-300 lens and star adventurer on order